Wednesday, July 2, 2014

How to use Essential Oils to Enhance Your Yoga Practice

Some of you have been asking me about how to incorporate essential oils into the practice so I'd like to offer some practical ways you can enhance your yoga experience and overall life.

Because there are so many amazing different oils to choose from you first need to take into consideration what you are using the oils for.   Do you or your students feel tired, stressed, anxious, nauseous? Is there pain from inflammation, tightness, sore muscles or trauma from an injury? Are you looking to bring the energy in the body up or are you trying to create more calmness.  Once you've recognized the projects you want to address you can then choose the oil that will best suite your needs and desire.

There are many different essential oil companies out there to choose from so I encourage you to explore your options.  I am currently in the Urban Zen Integrative Therapy Program and we only use Young Living Oils.  There are just a few of my personal favorites...

  • Lavender, Peace and Calming and Stress Away will help facilitate a calm and serene atmosphere, great to use during savasana or when doing a restorative practice.  You can defuse these oils, rub them on your hands and inhale or rub some onto your neck, shoulders or around your temples.
  • Peppermint will pick you up!  Also good for digestion and pain.  I use this on my hands right before I teach. I also offer it to my students to rub on their feet to address any pain in their body.
  • Pan Away and Valor are great to rub on areas where your muscles are sore or tense. Pan Away provides relaxation to the muscles and Valor helps renew feelings of strength, courage and confidence.  Both help to combat negative emotions so the body can find balance.
  • Joy is a nice oil to use when practicing heart openers.  Just place a few drops onto your chest, it helps you to overcome feelings of frustration or despair and brings joy to the heart, mind and soul. 
  • Citrus scent just make me feel happy and can be used at the beginning of the practice. Just rub in hands and inhale 5-6 long breaths.
  • Finding your favorite oil and adding a few drops to a water spritzer is a great way to liven up your environment.  I keep a peppermint spritzer in my purse and spray and use it in my car on hot days...its been amazing!

Thanks for taking the time to read.  Leave a comment if you have any question!!
Namaste' Sweet People
xoxo Dani

1 comment: